Russia that doesn't exist

Gennady Spirin is a Russian artist
especially known for his children's book illustrations.
Lately I read Russian fairy tales illustrated by him
and I have to admit that I was charmed by the connection
of these stories and his magical drawings.
I could not imagine to separate them.

I was always somehow charmed by Russian culture.
The magic of folk stories, cold winters and magical creatures
connected with orthodox mentality.
I enjoy as fairy tales as Russian literature in general.

Spirin is currently living in US
but his spirit is Russian from its very base.
Just by looking on his art
you can enter this magical, severe
and sometimes cruel world.

Spirin allows to dream.
Dream about Russia that does not
exist anymore.
Well, probably never existed in such a beautiful form.
He does not only show Russia in his art.
He illustrated many different stories all over the world,
but whatever he creates I see Russian soul there.









Christmas is a very special holiday for me.
I always loved it with lots of lights, illuminations and food.
After last year and some beautiful memories
I fall in love with it even more.
It impersonates fairy tale magic for me.




This Russian lullaby is quite scary
and suits with its atmosphere to the illustrations.




Comments

Popular Posts