Owls - because I want magic


Step by step I am falling in love with owls.

I do not need to hide that it happened under the influence of my second half
who even became famous for his owls pictures
even though he was just an amatour.
Lately I feel like I want to know more about them
to be prepared to go to real "owl cafe" with him.
Not the cruel ones that are so popular in Japan,
but to the wild one –
I mean watching owls in their natural habitat
what is the only vegan way to enjoy the presence of these beautiful animals.

I love nature what is quite obvious considering the fact that I am vegan
and do think about an environment
but considering my cultural background
I can not leave my interest in cultural symbolism of these animals.

In Japan owls are connected with good luck.
In ancient Europe they were strongly associated with wisdom and gods power.
But medieval times brought different perspective.
Lack of knowledge brought fear. 
Fear of mystical animals hidden in the darkness of night.
Fear brough mistreatment.
They were considered as animals of
witchcraft, evil powers and bad luck.
The sound of owl was a cry of ghost.
They were seen as an omen of coming tragedy.
They could protect house from it but only by... 
putting their corpse on a fence in front of it...
There is a lot of stories like that in folklore..

Then together with more knowledge 
the image of owls was becoming 
more and more positive.
But still they continue to fascinate us 
with their mystic atmosphere.
Their secret lifestyle and skills.

Creatures of night.
Magical. Evil. Or simply raising anxiety.


Owls in Poland
(eng sub)



In Poland the biggest owl habitat is the north part.
Close to the spit around the city called Kopań.
I see myself looking for owls, for magic around Europe.

No I do not want reality.
I want magic.

I do not want reality. Artificial, full of ordinary,
omnipresent and treated as natural 
cruelty towards animals
which you can find in Japanese owl cafes.
(Where on earth there is a good luck there?
What is cute about suffering animals?
Predator tied by his leg
and forced to be active at day?)


I want magic.
Night. Moon. Forest. And birds in their freedom
who seem to come from other world.
The world I always long for.
The wold I want to come back to.

In fact once when we went to see fireflies
we also tried to see some owls in Aikawa (Kanagawa).
Without success.
But just by looking for them
I felt like turning into the kind of Tinkerbell,
some kind of forest fairy,
wandering around trees.






Magical.
No doubt why owls became the motif of Lolita dress.




Cute owls to keep at home?
Here you have my pumpkin owl
as Halloween is coming^^

Comments

Popular Posts