Old-fashioned romance in snow white hell – Gaskell's North And South

True, old-fashioned romance.
As in Jane Austen's books.
As in Elizabeth Gaskell's books.
I sink in Victorian times dreams.
Lately I read "North and South" and I am charmed.
I am in love with the idea of love itself.


– said Richard Armitage
who played the role of main protagonist Thornton
in "North and South" mini serial adaptation.

I do not really read new romances.
Somehow the love on the background of modern times
becomes too shallow, not dramatic enough.
Dressed in jeans and drinking Coca cola.
I know it is a big simplification
but taste is a taste.
It is not a debate topic.

So naturally I appreciate this novel for all social background
of Victorian times England.
And above all this background is authentic. 
XIX century as seen by somebody
living in the times. Time travel.


Only those living in the times can fully understand them.
Express the soul of it. Problems, Obstacles.
Explain what kind of hell they did encounter.
Every epoch has its own hell. Different ones.
It can be white too. Snow white. And soft too.

I was always idealistic and the love
appealing to me is the one from old novels.
Beautifully dressed and limited by social etiquette.

Ladies and gentlemen. Bonnets and hats.
Love and hate. Everything dressed in politeness and manners.
In spite of everything hide inside.

Margaret from the South of England leaves her green hometown
to live in industrial Milton.
She meets Thornton who seems to be cruel and heartless entrepreneur
thinking only about economy and profit.
Then it turns out how big his heart is.
How dignified he is!

Milton based on cotton industry
is like a senseless cage where people are working all days
still not being able to afford enough food.
But how much kindness, pride and power is hidden in their hearts!

What a gentleman Thornton is!
And Margaret how beautiful she is in her pain and loneliness!

I choose to believe that I owe my very
life to you--ay--smile, and think it an exaggeration if you will.
I believe it, because it adds a value to that life to think--oh,
Miss Hale!' continued he, lowering his voice to such a tender
intensity of passion that she shivered and trembled before him,
'to think circumstance so wrought, that whenever I exult in
existence henceforward, I may say to myself, "All this gladness
in life, all honest pride in doing my work in the world, all this
keen sense of being, I owe to her!" And it doubles the gladness,
it makes the pride glow, it sharpens the sense of existence till
I hardly know if it is pain or pleasure, to think that I owe it
to one--nay, you must, you shall hear'--said he, stepping
forwards with stern determination--'to one whom I love, as I do
not believe man ever loved woman before.' He held her hand tight
in his. He panted as he listened for what should come. 

Pride, prejudice, behaviours rules, hidden emotions.
And then the most beautiful love flows out.
And friendships. Gentleness.



Oh, I do guess that I do not suit to the current times.
Let's look for my fairy tale in the past.
In Victorian times.
Past which probably never really existed.
Except Lady Elisabeth Gaskell dreams.
But who would even care.


Oh, Mr. Thornton, I am not good enough!'

'Not good enough! Don't mock my own deep feeling of unworthiness.


Comments

Popular Posts