Tokyo Fiancée – the love between Japan and France

Lately by my friend's recommendation
I read the book "Tokyo Fiancée" by Amélie Nothomb.
Then I also saw the movie based on the book.

The short autobiographical love story between
a Belgian girl Amelie and a Japanese guy Rinri.
The girl used to life in Japan as a child and comes back there now
to look for a new life in her beloved and idealised country.
Amelie is in an euphoria, finally living in her dream country,
fantasising about becoming a Japanese.
Then she meets Rinri, Japanese guy.
Firstly she teaches him French, then they become friends, 
finally fall in love.
Or at least they become lovers.
Because no. There was no love between them.



She felt more like Japanese when dating Japanese.
She was fascinated by Japanese culture
and thanks to him she was able to directly encounter it.

He was studying French and loved France.
European girls seemed more cool and independent.

Amelie was in love with Japan
and Rinri loved France.
When Amelie woke up and realised
she doesn't love Rinri and has other dreams to pursue
she leaves Rinri. And he? He finds other girl and marries her.
French girl- we have to add.
Probably better than Amelie who was only Belgian,
even though she was French native.

Maybe it is a little cruel and over the top 
review of quite a nice book actually,
but this is all I saw there...
And main characters were so irritating because of it...


trailer

Maybe I feel more engaged in the topic
so my opinion is stronger.


As I am dating a Japanese guy myself
I hear some similar opinion sometimes.
I like Japan so Japanese boyfriend suits my image..
He likes Western music
so European girl seems cool.

Nothing more offending.
Well... I will leave the topic
that my bf is an example of a weird Japanese,
far from all cultural stereotype you can imagine.
Strong, independent European woman 
is also the last thing you could say about me.

But what I want to say is that
when somebody is surprised 
how a relationship between Japanese and Polish
is possible we are even more surprised
because we never think about ourselves in this way.

Actually we feel like we are both creatures from Mars
who used to live there in the past and then just fell down on Earth.
Fell down in two completely different countries. Our bad luck.
We had to look for each other so many years!

That's all. 
I love my Martian. He loves his Martian.
It does not matter that he is Japanese. And that I am Polish.
My love for Japan seems more like a tactic step of destiny
to make our reunion.




Comments

Popular Posts