The wind in the willows – where my mirth and pleasure have gone

by Arthur Rackham


Lately I do read really a lot of books.
Except food this is the only escape I can find.
Well, there is of course hope that soon all this terrible state
will end, but still I need something to keep me alive right now.
Something to move my tired and discouraged soul. 
To make it wait a little longer.

Books. Lately I read The wind in the willows.
Simplicity. Beauty of nature. Feeling of home and security.
The harmony world where humans and animals live next to each other on equal rights.
So we have a toad that is arrested for stealing a car and put in prison.
Then he escapes in a dress of washerwoman.
This is what the illustration above presents. 
Gaoler's daughter helps him to dress up.

I am charmed by the magic of this representation.
Toad all dolled up. 
Toat is not only anthropomorphised but also put next to human.
Just like that. Like the most natural thing ever.
In mystical and magical world full of tea time afternoon harmony.

Even the battle at the end is all beautiful and clear.
There is no ambivalence. Hidden meaning. Lies. Shadows. Curtains.
Maybe this is the world I long for right now.



Toad in a dress.
Vain toad. Childish toad. Irresponsible toad.
Toad that changes all of a sudden.
Let the world be so easy. And magical.
Let me meet the divine Pan and hear his pipe
when I look for a missing otter's son.
Or maybe I just forgot it happened.
I forgot the pipe's sounds. 
I was made forgotten to not

lest the awful remembrance should remain and grow, and overshadow mirth and pleasure

Oh, dear Pan!
Useless effort you did make!
All my mirth and pleasure is gone anyway.
But maybe everything will change.
And I will set off to look for the otter's son once again.
And I will encounter lots of magic on the way.
In simply and harmonic world.

by Paul Bransom

Opening to The wind in the willows anime


Comments

Popular Posts